Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Ahhhh.... Spring!

I'm blessed... My father instilled in me a love for all things beautiful. I spent the last two weeks with him and enjoyed his company and his beautiful yard. Spring is wonderful! We were able to watch the tulips emerge, the daffodils bloom and the crocus' come alive. We watched birds feed from the newly filled feeders and befriended a pair of ducks, lovingly named Ralph and Maude after my mothers grandparents.

Every spring I get the urge to visit with nature... it's not that easy in the city... but occasionally I find a little oasis that makes me forget about this concrete jungle and pay tribute to the idea of the country or even just a yard! Yesterday, I went shopping for some blooming plants to "springify" our little home. The Home Depot and I have a great relationship... they set up tents filled with plants and natural wonders and I joyously peruse the aisles touching and smelling the treasures... then I buy beautiful things that I'll kill inside of 3 weeks. While dad instilled in me a love for beauty, I did not inherit his green thumb!

While "vacationing" at the Home Depot, I had the urge to purchase a million plants for a yard that I don't have... including a magnificent Japanese Maple tree... another pleasure that dad and I had last week... watching the Japanese Maple bloom. It really is amazing to see branches and twigs suddenly develop buds and go from brown and bare to bursting with beautiful burgundy leaves. I love Japanese Maples and as soon as we get a house... in the Crystal Lake area... I will purchase one and make Clinton help me plant it... in the front yard.

It should also be noted that caring for my daddy the last few weeks really instilled in me that "nesting" thing that women get during their child bearing years. I went to kiss his bald little head and it smelled like my newborn nephew. The wonderful two weeks made me want children even more... to care for and educate and inspire.

So... that's been our spring so far... we're taking one day at a time, caring for dad, selling the condo, working, house hunting, and stopping to smell the flowers.

No comments: