On Saturday, I , princess of art, musicals, fine dining and all things creative, joined 39,000 others to cheer, drink beer and sing "take me out to the ball game." The venue, Wrigley Field. The competitors, Cubs and Phillies. The weather, freezing!
Those who know me understand that I am not, nor have I ever been a fan of baseball, football, basketball, hockey or that sport where crazy people grease up little pigs and run around trying to catch them. I will admit that my lack of enjoyment for sports in general, has been due to the fact that I really don't grasp the rules or objectives... But I'm learning!
My first goal, to understand the most American of all past times, baseball, is coming along at a great pace (with a little help from other lovers of the game). And one trip to the ball park has given me a new found affinity for runs, outs, bases and the like.
There was something magical about entering the stadium and seeing the technicolor green of the field sprawled out in front of me.
There was something nostalgic about the smell of peanuts and beer. Stepping on the shells and sticking to the concrete.
There was something admirable about the "fan." Cheering and fighting and wanting so desperately to be part of the action.
There was something comforting about snuggling for warmth under an over-priced Cubs blanket with someone special.
There was something beautiful about staring across the space and seeing the team colors of the club you're rooting for... Dots creating a Seurat type backdrop to the action.
The noise, the anticipation and the sheer joy emanating from those around me placed me in the front row of a Broadway musical. The applause, cat calls and smiles (minus the profanity) reminded me of the curtain call.
I won't pretend to be a fan, as I still have a lot to learn. I will say that I am excited about the potential of joining the leagues of others who get excited when opening day rolls around. Maybe it will happen by the time the playoffs begin!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Imagine if you had gone to a game where the Home Team won. You might be a baseball fan by the All-Star break if that had happened. I'll keep working on it.
Your new beau is a baseball fan? Nice! I approve!
Looking forward to meeting you Neil. See you at the Birthday Bash!
- Bubble Boy
Post a Comment